The Elmore County/ City of Wetumpka Collection Facility has been in place for several months now. The county/ city has rules in place to ensure the facility is kept clean and safe for the citizens. Several weeks ago, video surveillance of the facility began. To date, several individuals have been illegally dumping at the facility after hours and caught on video. These images and video have been turned over to law enforcement for corrective action up and to include prosecution. This is a reminder that citizens should be mindful of the rules of the facility and abide by them. General rules for the facility are as follows and can be found at www.elmoreco.org/environmental.
No items shall be disposed of at or around the facility during non-operational hours. Violators will be prosecuted to the maximum extent. The attendant is also not in place to assist with loading and/ or unloading items.
- All citizens utilizing the facility should practice CDC recommended practices related to COVID-19 or may be asked to exit the facility;
- The collection facility is not intended for contractors as the facility is designed for residents to dispose of items larger in size or quantity than their normal residential containers can accommodate. All demolition materials and woody debris must not be longer than four feet long;
- The site is not to be used for household garbage. Anyone disposing of household garbage at this facility will be prosecuted for illegal dumping;
- Items that will not be accepted include appliances, batteries, paints or thinners, oils and gases;
- Any items that are not considered trash (e.g. clothing, unwanted/ gently used items, and gently used furniture) should be donated to a local donation center. Local donation centers in this area are the Elmore County Humane Shelter Thrift Store, the Adullam House Thrift Store, and Goodwill;
- Citizens will have opportunities to dispose of items that can be recycled. Cardboard, paper, aluminum and plastics will be the recyclable materials being segregated. All cardboard boxes must be flattened before being placed in the roll-off containers and/ or bin as this saves on space. Separate areas for metals, mattresses, tires and woody debris/ yard waste as well as construction type materials (lumber, etc) are designated by signage. Please keep in mind these type items should be less than 4 feet in length;
- Please pay attention to the signage at the facility. Signs are placed to show where specific items are to be disposed.